Friday, September 7, 2012

My Obsession with "Community"

I feel like this is a long time coming, but here we are at last. I'm sure my friends and family think I'm crazy for immediately jumping in with both feet so quickly, but here's why "Community" made an immediate impact on my life...

My brother had been telling me about this show on NBC called Community for a really long time. He and his wife started watching it from the beginning, but I'm not a big TV watcher, so adding one more show to the ones I do watch, didn't really interest me that much. Even though they raved about it, I just didn't think I'd be interested. Honestly, one of the biggest factors in my aversion to even trying it out was the fact that Chevy Chase was a star in it, and that was just a huge black eye on it's reputation. Everything I'd ever heard about him was not positive, and I didn't want to subject myself to a show that gave him the time of day.

Well, early this year, in the middle of it's 3rd season, I decided I was ready for a new show and started watching Community episodes online. The show was in an extended hiatus and there was a huge question as to whether or not it would even be back on the air. But I was ready to add a fun, witty show to my list and so Community got it's shot.

I immediately became hooked! I fell in love with all the characters. Yes, even Pierce, the character played by Chevy Chase. Within a few weeks I had gone through the entire series. The show still was not back on the air for new episodes, but it was confirmed to come back in March. So what did I do? I started at the beginning and watched through the series again. By that time the new episodes were airing, but the week in between was horrible! Just like any other of my shows, I wish the week would just fly by.

Again, at the end of the season, no one knew whether or not the show would be back for a 4th season. The season 3 finale was heartbreaking. For these people who are going to school to attain their 4 year degree, how could they stop after just 3 seasons!? And I wanted them back. All Communies did. I understood why this show had a cult-like following.

It seems crazy to say, but honestly this show influenced my life in a way I'll never come back from. I can relate to something within each of the female characters. With Britta, I identify with her passion and devotion to the things she believes in. In Annie there is a real desire to be loved, but an innocence (immaturity?) that comes with that. Shirley is a strong woman who knows how to make hard decisions. She knows what sacrifice is and does it for the betterment of her kids' lives.

Because of this I started looking into going back to school. I started allowing myself to think of what a healthy relationship would look like, and feeling as though I deserved one.

In each of the male characters I saw something that I should have in my relationship, things that I crave. In Jeff I saw a man who takes pride in his image and knows how to look good for the woman he may be with. Abed is a man who cares deeply for his friends, and really sees them as family. He loves spending time with them and goes out of his way to make memories, he cherishes them all. Troy is hilarious, but also has a sensitive side that he isn't afraid of showing. And Pierce, well, Pierce is rich :-)

I know I let this fantasy run a bit too far in my head (and heart) but I started allowing myself to see me outside of the marriage I was in. An abusive, controlling, unappreciative marriage to a man who would rather spend time with the Big Bang Theory then his wife and child. I have started believing in my heart that I deserve better than that. My daughter deserves better than that too.

So this is what I'm striving toward. A better life for me and my daughter. And I can honestly thank the creators and cast of Community for playing a big role in this new attitude I've come across. I'm sure there could have been other things used to move me toward this new mindset, but they weren't. Community was.


No comments:

Post a Comment